Aug 29, 2010

Week in Review 8/29/10 - More and Less

Lets say goodbye to last week (waving) and I'm happy to put it in the past. It was the first week of school which meant getting up early having the first child in school by 7am. Yes, it's back to doing homework, carpool pickup lines, new class schedules and teachers and for my son new transportation home taking the bus (because there were times last year when it was hard to pick him up).

So, yes a lot more was added to the plate this past week but on the other hand right around when school starts it's slow in the sewing studio. Going on my fourth year being open I'm starting to see trends of the busy and slow times.  On the less side of things I was given a night when no one was able to attend sewing class which gave me some free time to sew. More of that at the bottom of this post.

6 people attended the machine classes
5 people attended cutting class
12 people came to sewing class making shorts, blouses, skirts, toddler dress, Halloween costume, vest  and alterations.


Once again I was bad about bringing out the camera with very few pictures to show this week.

Adriana made it to class this week to sew the fly zipper in some shorts she's making. A couple weeks ago she pulled apart some shorts that fit her and she wanted to make more. 

Nancy has moved on from appliance covers to sewing a blouse. Except she's having the hardest time working with the very light weight fabric. I think she had more fun sewing home decor instead of garments.

 Kristine was back and finished her apron. (btw Kristine when you walked out the door the apron was still on the dress form so I have it when you come to class next week). This was a quick and easy thing for her to make.  When she finished with the apron she headed to the cutting table to cut out her next project ... another top :)

Joann was a lot of fun having in class this week. Since she was the only one that showed up on Friday we got to do a lot of talking and boy did we talk. She is a craft teacher and a mom so we have a lot in common. She made a cute little pillow case dress to give to a friends daughter.

Corey came back in on Saturday and learned how to hem pants. He took up two pair of his fathers shorts. Then he worked on his skirt but didn't do much with it. He'll be back next week.

Estee came to cutting class in the morning and stayed for the sewing class in the afternoon. She cut out and almost made a skirt. She's adding a liner to it because the fabric she picked was very see through. The best thing to do when your making a dress or skirt is to hold the fabric up to the light and if you can see throug it you'll need a liner or have to wear a slip.

Sofia spent 4 hours with me on Saturday sewing her Halloween costume. She's almost done with the bodice with installing the sleeves and adding the trim. We talked about how much fabric she needs to pick up for the skirt part of the costume. I think she's going to do an A line skirt with a big bustle skirt that can be tied around and removed if she wants. I so can't wait to show you pictures of this. It's really coming out good and Sofia has great ideas.

And I always enjoy having Christine in class. She didn't have much luck though not liking the blanket binding she wanted to put around a baby blanket. So she pulled out another project and didn't like the way the instructions had her sew it together. So she spent a lot of time talking with her new sewing friend Iris.   And I'm not sure if you remember Iris but she's been coming to class for almost 3 years every Saturday. I don't give her instruction any longer. She just likes to come in to hang out with us and sew.

Like I was saying at the start. I was able to have a free night of sewing. Ahhh, my happy time. To be in my girl cave, music loud (because they "get the Led" on 105.9 at 9pm and I love my Zeppelin) and sewing. To me there's nothing better then spending time with my kids.
I have several projects already cut so I grabbed a basked and started sewing. I had this blouse made in a little over an hour, put it on and... didn't do the happy dance. I'm not real happy with the color, the drape and the feel of the fabric on my body. It doesn't breathe well and it's still very hot and humid outside.

Looking on the bright side, I have a few more tops cut out. And the projects that will fill my empty baskets (I only work on 5 projects at a time and I can't start a new project until I empty a basket. This keeps the UFO's from happening) my new projects will be baby clothes for my niece. She's having a girl!! Going to name her Raylee. How sweet is that? A new soul is arriving soon! And I get to sew baby clothes which makes me so happy.

NEXT WEEKS CLASSES
Sewing Tuesday6:30-8:30pm
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6:30-8:30pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-12noon
Cutting Thursday 6:30-8:30 (CLASS FULL)
Cutting Friday 10am-12noon
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Machine Saturday 10-12noon (2 seats available)
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm (CLASS FULL)

August is almost gone with September arriving on Wednesday. September is always a busy month at the studio so if you paid for sewing class call to reserve your seats before they are all gone.

Until next time, Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun, Cindy