May 2, 2010

Week in Review 5/1/10 - Sewing Now on Tuesday

We ended the last week of April with many creative things happening and a little change in the scheduling.

I've been running my Technique Tuesday to teach advance sewing, the only problem is I haven' had many people sign up to them. Tuesday was a zipper class with no enrollment. Zippers are the most popular thing to learn so since no one enrolled I've decided to make every Tuesday evening sewing classes. I already have a full class next week so I think it's going to work out much better to offer daily sewing classes.

5 people attended the machine class to start their adventures off with sewing.
2 people attended cutting class to trace a burda pattern and cut a knit dress.
20 people attended sewing making dresses, baby clothing, kids clothes, pants, tops, crib sheets, seat covers, prom dress and alterations.

I don't have a picture of one of my students projects, Jenny. I really wish I would have remembered to pull out the camera. She came to sewing class last week to cut a wrap dress. She came to her first sewing class this week with the thing almost made. She did a great job not knowing all the steps. She has sewn before so she does have a concept of what she was doing but she's never made clothing. I was very impressed with her ability to understand how to put the seams together. I love when my students do this. I just know they are going to have a life full of fabric creations.

Agi came to class too to make a little baby outfit. She's pregnant but you can hardly tell. She would be one of those women who have a baby and never knew they were pregnant. She hardly shows at all. She's also working on making a crib sheet to fit her round crib. 

Claudia came to a couple sewing classes this week to work on that perfect fit in pants. She's sewn a muslin that we had to tweak and now she's ready to cut her fashion fabric to start on a real pair. Only thing is, she's very tall and the lady who cut her fabric suggested not enough fabric so, even though she only 1/4 of a yard short to make pants - she really needs 2 1/2 yards to make them as long as she wants. So, she put aside her pants and pulled out a knit top to cut. She got really frustrated cutting out fabric that was very light weight with a stretch so I suggested she not sew this top right now, to put it aside until she get a little more comfortable sewing with this kind of fabric... practice and you can make your gold.

Sabrina has been attending sewing class with her mom. They pay for Sabrina to attend and mom pays a guest fee to watch Sabrina and help pulling out her mistakes (lucky girl). They both are learning the art but Sabrina's doing most of the work. Her first project was a beautiful top she made for her mom. Because it was a very lightweight fabric it wasn't an easy project to do but one good thing it didn't have stretch like Claudia's fabric.

Sisters Aileen and Megan (who by the way are 20 years apart and only look a few years.) are both working on the same dress out of the same fabric. It's the little halter dress so many of my students have made in the past. They got most of the bodice done and are having a cute little contest to see who's comes out better.


Scott's still working on his prom dress for the JoAnn's Prom Contest. It's crunch time to get this thing done and of course when you at crunch time always, always things happen that were unexpected. Yesterday he got hurt with his scissors, the seams we're coming together like we needed them thus a lot of the use of our friend the seam ripper. I love the fabric he's using. It has a beautiful drape to it. And I have to say I'm so proud of him, he's mastered the invisible zipper! Look how nice he installed one in this dress.

Next week classes:
Sewing Tuesday 6:30-8:30 Class Full
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6:30-8:30pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm
Cutting Thursday 6:30-8:30pm
Cutting Friday 10am-1pm
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Machine Saturday 10am-12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm

Monday night I'm having my FREE OPEN HOUSE PARTY from 6pm-10ish.  We'll be making journals for the "write it out project". If you want to attend just show up and help make journals. I'll have everything needed for the projects. I'm also offering $10 off for anyone who wants to sign up for a package deal of sewing classes.

If you can't make it to the party I hope to see you in class and if your a far away reader I hope you're sewing and having many smiles that sewing can bring us.

Until next time, Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun, Cindy