May 23, 2010

Week in Review - 05/23/10 - Getting Tough on Policy

The hot weather has arrived back in South Florida after having a wonderful cool winter and early spring. I think with the heat returning it has caused people to think of other things besides sewing class. It was a very slow week at L2S.

6 people attended the machine class.
1 person drove very far to attend the cutting class to cut a toddler outfit.
10 people attended sewing class making pants, dress, tops, girls dresses, handbags, skirts and a prom grown.


I actually thought I had a couple of full classes but it didn't turn out that way with people not showing up to class and many canceling for one reason or another. I've been real easy going when it comes to people not attending class and having to cancel. This has happened so much lately that I'm going to have to be tougher about my policy.
VERY IMPORTANT!   Please don't come early to sewing class - again doors open 5 minutes before class begins. If you enroll to a class and arrive late you may not make up this time missed meaning if you show up 30 minutes late you lost this time and may not stay longer to make up the time missed.   If you pay for sewingclass hours in advance, reserve your seat to any class and don't attend to the seat you reserved your time will be deducted from the hours you purchased. You may reschedule with a 24 hour notice and a fee of $5.
Some people have scheduled more than 15 hours of class time and haven't attended. They only paid for 10 hours. I haven't taken their hours away but this has happened so often with so many people that I'm going to have to be tough and not have people take advantage of my generosity. Everyone will have to pay for the rescheduling fee if they have to cancel. I want to be nice and just give in but I just can't do it anymore. I am doing this for a business and I do have a higher rent to pay with my new beautiful location that everyone loves so much. So from now on student who reserve a seat and don't reschedule will have their time deducted..so... please come to class because I want you to learn how to sew so that it brings you as much joy as it's brought so many others.


Sam has been sewing at home and has made many new little dresses for her photo shoots. She's put a lot of time in to sewing and has come a long way since the first day. We talked about it recently how she asked SO many questions in the machine class. When people ask a lot of questions I can't always get through everything I want to teach. She over heard me talking about the width of a bolt of fabric. She said "I didn't know that". I told her I teach it in the machine class but couldn't because she asked so many questions. LOL She really has come far since that first day!


There were a few students who got private lessons this week because they were the only ones who showed up to sew. Adriana's working on pants. We have to modify her pattern so she gets that TNT pattern. Charlisse (who I saw at the fabric store at the cutting table last week) worked on finishing a jump suite (very 70's looking) and cut out her next project. 


Denise (another one who drove very far to attend class) made a donation of a roll of medical paper which I love to use as pattern paper. For her first sewing class she started off sewing a hand bag. She got a little frustrated sewing the circle bottom of the fabric and liner so I suggested she drop that project and cut the other pattern she brought to class, a cute little outfit for her daughter. She got a lot of it sewn in class before it ended. And most of it she understood on her own by following the directions herself. Very cool when people do this because I just know they are going to have much success sewing at home.

Jenny came to class a couple of hours this week and brought with her all her projects she's been sewing at home. She wanted me to tell her what she did wrong but honestly I couldn't. She is a perfectionist who has to get things right so she takes her time and makes beautiful things. I am so impressed with all the things she brought in and I really intended to take pictures of them - why the camera never came out while she was there????? I could kick myself.

A few other students came in working on their pants and skirt patterns looking to get the perfect fit and make their pattern they can use all the time. Scott has a couple more things for his prom gown (pic's to come very soon of the event). Other students I've had to be a teacher with and tell them they are trying to sew more difficult techniques they they are able to do right now. When you start off making things that are simple you understand how to put the fabric to the machine to make beautiful things.... it happens in baby steps.

Myself, I got to sew a few things: finish up a couple of tops that were laying around that either needed buttons or a hem. It's hot here in SoFlo so time to remove the few winter items hanging in the closet and replace them with the unfinished sewing projects hanging around 

NEXT WEEK CLASSES
Sewing Tuesday 6:30-8:30
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6:30-8:30
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm
Machine Thursday 6:60-8:30
Machine Friday 10am-12n
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Cutting Saturday 10am-12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm
 
Can you believe we only have 8 more days left of school and the kids are out for summer? This school year just flew by. This week they have off Friday and next week they have off Monday for Memorial Day. I can't wait to have a break from school. I'm tired waking up before the sun everyday... i want to sleep in for a while..... I want to sew!

HAVE FUN to all of those who watch LOST! It's all ending tonight and lets hope they pull some of the story lines together. I am so lost watching LOST. And is anyone a Grays Anatomy fan? OMG was that a great way to end the season! I really enjoyed it. And with all the shows ending just think.. more time to sew! 

Until next time, Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun, Cindy