May 8, 2010

Week in Review - 05/08/10 - Journals

This week started out with an Open House on Monday evening. I ran the event to offer $10 off sewing classes if people came in to the studio (no one took advantage of this offer). I also wanted to make journals for Alida and her Write it Out Project.


3 people attended the machine class to learn how to use the machine.
2 people attended the cutting class cutting pants and a dress
17 people attended sewing class making the usual clothing and alterations.

Anna started off her sewing adventure with an easy project in an apron and oven mitt to give to her mother for Mothers Day. She made this in a few hours of sewing class. She added an applique to the pocket. Aprons are easy first projects to make. The go fast and you learn some basic things like pockets and how to flip the fabric for your straps and little folds around the edges to finish the edge of the fabric. You can have an apron sewn in no time.

Jenny came to cutting class a couple weeks ago and made this dress all on her own. I told you about it in last weeks week in review but forgot to take a picture. She came back to class this week with several different projects. She is well on her way to a life time of sewing. I just love it! There's not much teach Jenny that she doesn't get on her own. (and btw Jenny isn't this short - I had the dress form up REALLY high LOL)
Marta finished her first project with her skirt and has started a blouse. She's learning how to install sleeves with sleeve bands and gathers. Pictures of her dress coming soon.

Adriana is a small women who has a hard time finding cloths that fit because she is so tiny. Her first few sewing classes involved altering her clothing to make them fit better. Now we've been working on getting that great fit with pants. Claudia has also been in class this week working on the perfect pant pattern. 

Jamie came in to work on her blouse. She learned how to leave the edges raw by using the serger. It's fun to put someone on the serger for the first time. She also learned smocking with this project. 

Friends Evelyn and Maor have been attending sewing class to learn how to make swim suites. I have a lot of students who want to learn how to make them. Hey, we live in Florida where its something we have on a lot this time of year so it's something a lot of people want to learn to sew. I try to tell people it's not easy to sew for your first project. Needless to say these friends are struggling through the process of learning.

Yasmin has been attending sewing class for a few weeks now. She's been working on making scarfs on not so easy fabric to work with. She's another one I showed how to use the serger to finish her raw edges. So much fun!

Scott came to class to work on his prom dress for the JoAnn's Prom contest. It really is beautiful! I can't wait to show you pictures of the final project but it's going to have to wait until after the contest ends.

A few other people attended class making pants, alterations and baby clothes.

And I got to finish a top I started before I made the move. I didn't like the way the sleeves came out the first time and I had to sew the buttons on....right after I found them. Always loosing things in the move.
   
Next week classes
Sewing Tuesday 6:30-8:30pm (class full)
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6:30-8:30pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm
Machine Thursday 6:30-8:30pm
Machine Friday 10am-1pm
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Cutting Saturday 10am-12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm

One thing about this week is my little one had another dance competition today that I didn't get to attend because I have to teach on Saturday's since it's my busiest day. I did get to do her hair before my morning class then run home to do her makeup during lunch. They were in 4 dances and took first in 3. I got an early Mothers Day present with a video of the dances. Not a great production but I got to see the dances. Something I have yet to see this year because I have to work every Saturday. 
 I'm a proud Mama :)    Maybe tomorrow I can upload a video form the DVD they bought for me.   and hopefully I can get a couple more projects of my own cut out next week ready for my implements of sewing construction.      Do you realize there's only a few weeks left until it's summertime again? Where did the school year go? .... on to the next....  time to sign up for summer camp.

Until next time, Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun, Cindy