Apr 25, 2010

Week in Review 4/25/10 - Learn

I opened up the studio Wednesday morning, walked back to turn on the lights and saw the shadow of my front door letters on the wall. How cool is that?

Not many finished products to show you this week. We were working on a lot of alterations and starting the process of construction.

7 people attended the machine class
11 people came to cutting class to cut dresses, pants, tops, skirts and aprons.
21 people attended the sewing class making tops, alterations, craft projects, kids clothing, dresses and hats.

Cindy came in to finish her little outfits she's making for her niece. She's leaving Tuesday to visit little one so we won't see her for a while in sewing class. You might remember the toddler red/white/blue and pink outfits I showed you last week. She made the bloomers at home and started working on the hats. She came to class this week a couple of times to finish the outfits before she has to leave. She also cut another view from the same pattern. She almost had them finished before she left class. I have not worries she will finish the few things need to have a finished product.


Sam's still making her kids clothing for her photo shoots. She finds her fabric in all kids of different places. She's doing a lot of sewing at home and is learning how to sew without me. She still think she needs my advice but she really does know what she's doing. 



She loves putting all different kinds of fabric together in her kids clothing. She knows just what she wants to do and is very creative doing it.


Alexis has been working on an easy dress. I teach my students to cut big and sew small. Well the measurements on this pattern were way off. we had to take a lot in to make it fit. The picture is her trying to get some kind of shape to this dress. 

I also made a little mistake with her in construction. She wanted sleeves. I had her follow the instructions without sleeves. After she realized what happened she didn't want to pull out the binding under the arm. I told her it was real easy to do but then she realized she forgot the sleeves at home. She installed the zipper with no problems. The last thing needed was a hem.

Marta has been to a few sewing classes working on her very first project, a skirt. She really has taken her time making sure every seam is perfect. We worked on the fit yesterday in class. I gave her a few options on how to finish like holding down the facing by adding a top stitch giving a waistband effect or just hand sewing the facing down to the seams on the inside so you see no stitches. I also asked her if she wanted to do a top stitch for the hem or learn the blindhem stitch. She went with the top stitch. Its a great fit. She works in an office and wears these kind of things. Now she can make many for her wardrobe.

Next weeks classes:
Zippers Tuesday 6:30 - 8:30. (If I don't get more people enrolling in my technique Tuesday classes I'm going to be changing them to sewing classes)
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6:30-8:30pm (3 seats available in each class)
Sewing Thursday 10am - 2pm (one seat available)
Machine Thursday 6:30 - 8:30pm
Machine Friday 10am-12n
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Cutting Saturday 10am-12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm

I want to try and make a new sign for my window next week. I'm also looking into putting a sign on the header of the building because people are sitting in the parking lot calling me because they can't find my new location. I was checking the city website last night and they have many regulations about signage.

I also need to get busy this week for the Open House on Monday May 3rd.

I can't wait for next week to complete some of these projects many of my students have. Let's hope I remember to pull out the camera!!  LOL

Until next time, Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun, Cindy