Apr 4, 2010

Today has meaning in many ways

First let me say Happy Easter to all who celebrate it. 

We all know today is Easter but did you know today has other relevance? 

Today is the day MLK was killed in 1968. Today is also the day I know a family is missing their son because he was KIA in Iraq. His name was Casey Sheehan.

We know the history of Martin Luther King but I'm not sure if people remember the day he knew he was going to die. 

1968: Martin Luther King shot dead
The American black civil rights leader, Dr Martin Luther King, has been assassinated.
Dr King was shot dead in the southern US city of Memphis, Tennessee, where he was to lead a march of sanitation workers protesting against low wages and poor working conditions
He was shot in the neck as he stood on a hotel balcony and died in hospital soon afterwards.

Another thing that happened on this date in 2004 was someone who I met walking my path lost her son in Iraq one week after he was sent. His name was Casey Austin Sheehan. He was 24 years old. When she told me the date of his death 04-04-04 I had chills. Along with Alex, Casey's death effected me. I met Casey's mom because Alex died. So to me Casey and Alex are brothers.

Rest in Peace Martin, Casey, Alex and Daniel

************************************** 

Now I want to tell you about Daniel and how I'm bringing them together. For all the brothers and sisters who have given their precious lives for ours so we could live a better life.

I'm not really sure how I came across it - from reading one blog to another - but I found Alida's blog: I make stuff and I read this:
I am about to share something deeply personal with you my crafty friends. I am an Iraq War widow. My first husband, Sgt. Daniel Woodcock, was killed in Iraq March 11, 2007.

The reason I am sharing this with you is that the 3 year anniversary of his death is steadily approaching and I have been feeling this enormous sense that I need to do something to commemorate it. Then last month a good friend's husband was killed in Afghanistan and it became clear. I need to help comfort these women.
The reason this blog is called "I Make Stuff" is that making stuff is my reaction to the world around me. When my friends are sick, having a baby, or just having a hard time I Make Stuff. When I am feeling the grief particularly strongly, I Make Stuff. It makes me feel as if I have some control. This year instead of spending the day with my heart in the fetal position, I want to make stuff. Not only do I want to make stuff but I want to SEND stuff.

I am starting what I'd like to call the Write It Out Project, handmade journals for grieving military widows. I read somewhere (and now I CANNOT find it!) that people who journal through times of grief are less likely to need depression medications as people who don't. I know that I found it extremely helpful.

So, to make a very long story short, I am posting this tutorial and asking my crafty friends a favor. Would you be willing to make one of these for a military widow? Composition notebooks only cost a dollar and I bet you have all of the other materials in your stash.

GIVING BACK
I know for Casey and Alex families to write their expressions have helped in blogs and in other ways. I think it's a way for them to mend somewhat their broken hearts. 

I am going to be making some journals for Alida to give to her Gold Star Friends as soon as I finish moving the studio. This will be one of my first projects. I hope you join me in giving back.

Bless everyone today who's breathing.... Life is a precious gift with tons of lessons to be learned to arrive at a beautiful place in the end.....

HAPPY EASTER!
Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy