Feb 21, 2010

Week in Review 2/21/10 - Full Week of Sewing

I know I say it each week but last week sure did fly by.

Classes were full this week with lot's of smiling faces, great ideas floating around the room and a better understanding of sewing with many on their way to enjoying sewing beautiful things long into the future.

7 people attended the machine class
3 people attended the cutting class to cut all dresses.
18 people attended sewing class making dresses, refashion clothing, children's clothing, dust ruffle for a bed, handbags, eye covers, back pack, towel embellishments and a top. 

The first thing I want to share is... Scott finished his dress (almost LOL). He did his homework completing the skirt so we only had to attach the bodice to the skirt and hem it in class. The only thing he has to do is hand sew the buttons, snaps and give it a really good press.

He put many hours into this dress using all his first place prize of my project runway contest. So I handed him an entry form for my contest going on now to enter this dress.
 
It doesn't fit the dress form well because his model is smaller and it was made to fit her.

 
From the back. I was in a rush and didn't the collar in the picture but when he did a fitting with the bodice he said his model had a hard time getting in and out of it. It's basically a big hole you have to put your arms straight up to slide it over - and it didn't go over her shoulders when sliding down. She had to wiggle her way into it.
 
I couldn't find a pattern review on this pattern. There was one thing at the pockets we couldn't figure out. There's a little opening in the inside drape. I told him to just hand sew it closed because it didn't match any seams and still give a good drape. 

*************************************
I have more friends coming to class. Steven's working on a backpack and Paul has cut out and sewing eye patch, neck pillow and yoga mat.
 
Paul finished making a couple of eye covers. He filled them with beans and gave one to another student in the class. He started working on his neck pillow. We got as far as installing the zipper and ran out of time.

*************************************

 
Daniela came to class a couple of times this week. She's working on a dress and has it almost finished. We have to install the sleeves and attach the skirt to the bodice. I think she has buttons that have to be sewn in too.

************************************* 
 
Erin came in without friend Jennell this week because she had a wedding to attend. I'm so proud of Erin for finishing the top on her own at home. She now has a fitting to do on her niece to fit the straps.

*************************************  
 
Next week classes
Technique Tuesday 6-8pm learning how to use the pressure feet that came with your machine.
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6-8pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm
Cutting Thursday 6-8m
Cutting Friday 10am-12n
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Machine Saturday 10am-12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm

I was able to get some sewing time in for my own project. I should be done with my top soon with pictures to show.

A couple of thing I want to share next week: I want to finish my son's room makeover and take pictures. Take a video of my new location - its a great place.

And my car broke down yesterday so it looks like I'll be pulling out the bike to get around next week. My car is a 1995 Quest with 150k miles. I was going to drive it until I couldn't drive it any longer because I love not having car payments. I wanted it to last the summer 'till I could save some funds to buy another one but it looks like I'll be having car payments again. Really, I could use the exercise so maybe this happened for a reason (right Julia? LOL).

Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy