Jan 23, 2010

Week in Review - Celebrating MLK and Sewing Friends

This week started off by celebrating Martin Luther King on Monday with the kids off of school for a couple of days. 

When you ask for things they are given to you. I was given a slow week this week. After throwing my back out on Sunday and spending a couple of days doing no sitting I decided to take a little off my plate by no longer doing Monday night classes. No one signed up to the cutting class on Tuesday thankfully because it gave me another day to recover.

8 people attended the machine class
3 people came to cutting class to cut a toddler top and pants, dog coat and a dress
14 people attended sewing class constructing dresses, vest, blouse, toddler coat, skirts, pants

I've been getting a lot of friends attending class together lately. One set of friends started sewing their dresses they cut out last week in class. Both patterns said easy but one is a 2 hour easy and the other is more like a 6 hours of sewing easy. This cute little dress was made in 2 hours. It's fun to come to class and make something in a couple of hours. In 2 hours her friend was able to make the front of the bodice of pattern Simplicity 2884 which has been made about 8 times in class all made out of different fabric. It's a cute little halter dress. Only once have I had two different students bring in the same pattern with the same fabric at different times. It was a little freaky.

Kerry came in a few weeks ago to make a cute little baby cap. (go check it out and come back) She came back this week to work on a coat to match using Simplicity 2668 view E. She already made little shoes to complete the outfit and brought them to class to show me. They were so cut and she did a great job sewing them I just had to take a picture to share. She also made a purple dress to go under the coat which I haven't see yet. From head to toe her little niece is going to have a brand new outfit.


Another set of friend came to cutting class this morning. One of them is driving almost an hour to attend class. I'm thankful all the time people want to drive that far to take my sewing class. They learned how to cut out a toddler top and pants with a pattern and fabric that was given as a gift and a fleece dog coat with a cute little collar and sleeves on it. These two are going to have fun sewing their projects together next week. Oh did I mention they are both teachers? Sewing is a nice down time when you teach kids. 

My 10 year old little guy Christopher came in today to finish is skirt. I was real bad and didn't take a picture of it or him sewing it. I'm so proud of this kid. He's learned so much already. We talked about different pleats and collars today. He knows all the names of the different styles. It's just too cute to have a fashion and style conversation with a 10 year old boy.

Brad also came to class today to work on his pants. I gave him homework last week to sew his back pocket to his pants. He came back today with beautiful straight edge stitching around his pockets. We worked on his front pockets in class today and the fly zipper. Next week we can put the fronts and backs together.  Hopefully I can remember to take some pictures of his pants also.

I was able to cut out my next two projects. Simplicity 3790 view A. I cut it out of purple knit with a white inlay. I also cut out Simplicity 3936 view B. I could sew view A with the darts or view B with no darts. I'll decide this later when I go to sew it.

Cutting isn't the fun part of the sewing process for me. When I have all my implements of cutting I always cut out a few projects. This way when I have time to sew them they are ready. 

One way to keep all projects your working on together is to put them in a basket. You can leave your zippers, buttons, thread and bobbins already made in the basket. Give yourself 3-5 baskets. Tell yourself that you must empty a basket before you can start another project. This way you don't have so many UFO's (unfinished projects) hanging around. And nothing you need for your project gets lost in the process of sewing it.




Next week classes
Machine Tuesday 6-8pm
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6-8pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm
Cutting Thursday 6-8pm
Cutting Friday 10am-12n
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Machine Saturday 10am - 12n
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm
Seats available to any class you want to attend.


I hope to get at least one blouse sewn next week if my plan comes together. You never know..... :)


Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy