Jan 17, 2010

Week in Review 1/17/10 - Boys Club

Week two of the new year brought warmer weather with more people attending sewing class.


First, the difference living in cold weather and warm: All the layers clothing which means more laundry. And because there's more fabric in cold weather clothing than warm you can't put as much in each load. - Using heat to warm up the inside dry's the heck out of your skin. - It's more money to heat than to cool down the house - The car doesn't start so well in cold weather, never a problem in warm (my poor car is 15 years old, older than the kids) - The kids never say "I'm hot" but the cold weather sure does make them whine "I'm cold". I love when it cools down but it was way too cold here. I'm thankful it warmed up!


Some of the 12 classes I ran this week were slow - others were full.


7 people attended the machine class
5 people attended cutting class learning to cut a lot of dresses
15 people came to sewing class making vest, toddler dress, skirts, dresses and pants. All clothing this week. 


This week we had a lot of men attending class. Saturday we had 5 boys and 1 girl. Who knew men wanted to learn to sew as much as women! I didn't. 


We started off on Monday night with friends Peter and Ed attending sewing class to learn how to sew vest they cut out last week in cutting class. They also came to Wednesday night and Saturday's sewing class.  They're making different holiday vest for parties they attend; Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day. My goal with my students is to get them comfortable sewing at home. These two are on their way to many sewing hours at home. They are learning all the things being taught to them. It might take a couple of tries for it to click but it's clicking.  They both bought really good machines that will last them a long time, Yes, these friends will be having fun hours sewing together. 


Friday I ended up canceling the afternoon sewing class because the kids got out of school early. When there's early release my little man doesn't have aftercare. There was no one to pick him up from school so my class got canceled. It's really nice to be in control of your time which teaching allows me to be there for my kids when they need me.


Saturday was a full machine class in the morning. It's more fun for me to teach my students how to do sewing techniques rather than teach them all about the sewing machine. But I have to say the energy from all the students at the end of each machine class is great. Everyone's so excited to use what you've just taught them. There are many smiles when people leave this class excited to start on the wonderful world of sewing.


I thought I had a full class on Saturday afternoon from 1-3 but only ended up having one person. I'm going to have to be more strict about people scheduling classes and not attending. I'm really easy going when people can't attend and want to reschedule but when I think I have a full class, tell people they can't attend because the class is full and end up only have one person in class- that isn't right. I will only be scheduling people if they know for sure they can attend. When people don't attend I'll have to charge them for it. I don't want to be like this but I've had many times when I've been left high and dry. Not only me but other people who do want to attend can't.


Saturday afternoon 3-5 class ended up being a boys class. We had young Christopher who I told you about a couple of weeks ago sewing his skirt, Scott's sewing his purple dress. It's coming along nicely. His next step will be welt pockets. I'm going to have him practice before we do it on his dress. Peter and Ed were making their vest and Brad finished his dog bed at home. He's trying to figure out what he wants to stuff it with since polyfill can be so expensive. I suggested going to a thrift store to pick up a couple of comforters to stuff inside. He started cutting out a pair of cargo pants for his next project. Lauren was the only girl in class Saturday afternoon doing more to a skirt we're trying to get the right fit on.


I ended up finishing my pants (again no pictures) They're really baggy but very comfortable just they way I like them. I also made a new "Learn 2 Sew" sign for my front window.


I think next week I'll put the camera in my pocket so I remember to take more pictures. It's about the sewing for me not pictures...sorry :)


Next week classes
Sewing Monday 6-8pm
Cutting Tuesday 6-8pm
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6-8pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-12noon
Machine Thursday 3-8pm
Machine Friday 10am-12noon
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Cutting Saturday 10-12noon
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm


Now it's time to go do all that laundry from last week.  


Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy