Nov 14, 2009

Week in Review 11/14/2009

OK, so, we had Friday the 13th in our week last week. Did any one notice any funny things happening? Well... It was once again one of those weeks where a lot of people canceled to the seats they reserved for class. Some people forgot all together they made plans to attend. So, I'm chalking it up to being a Friday the 13th week.

This is my slow time of year with classes. Everyone's thinking how their going to be spending the holiday's. Because I am slow this time of year I take some time off to spend it with my children. Thanksgiving's in a couple of weeks (dang how time passes quickly) and I'll be closed for 5 days.

This week:
8 people attended the machine class
1 person came to the cutting class
15 people attended sewing class making dresses, kids dresses, handbags and a skirt.


I have a few teen's attending Saturday's classes. Some have taken 30 hours and have made several projects. One teen who came along with a friend of hers to class and fell in love with sewing started out sewing a tote bag. Than moved on to making pj's. Now she's working on a dress for her little sister. She's making Simplicity 2638 view c. We've changed a few things in it on this dress. Sometimes I don't like the way they do things in the instructions so I have the student do it a different way. We did't add the bottom edge, we just did a little hem. Next week this project will be finished and a new one started.
 
You know Scott from my Project Runway Contest - his new project is a really pretty. A Donna Karan Vogue pattern V1088. He already has the bodice done. The next step will be to work on the collar than move on to the skirt. It's coming out beautiful. I've been teaching him different finish seam techniques with each project. This one he's finishing his edges and using a top stitch to hold them in place. This kid has talent. He's going to do great as a designer. Keep your eyes out for him in the future. Anyway, I love the pockets on this dress. Not like I could wear anything like it because my hips are big enough. This is a skinny girls dress.

I get so bored with my sewing surrounds. I'm always wanting to change things up. I've been working on new skirts for my table and a new curtain for my changing room. Hopefully I can get this project done soon.


One thing I did do this week was take advantage of JoAnn's sale they were having. I needed more needles and bobbins. It seems to me the plastic ones just wear out and don't spin well when filling them after a while. I also needed more machine needles because let's face it, we're always changing our needles and when you have 6 machines you use a lot of them. Since the notion wall was buy one get one I took advantage and picked up a few things. You always have to buy this stuff when it's on sale. So I searched through to see what other goodies I could pick up. You can click on the picture to get a bigger view of all my implements of sewing construction. :) While I was in the isle I ran into one of my students. I love when I see them at the store.


When I was at the store I had to buy fabric so I headed to the back wall to the clearance section which was 50% off. I picked up 10 yard of fabric. I wanted to buy a bolt of muslin but they had it on sale buy 2 yards and get one yard free. Well, it's a better deal if I wait for it to go off sale and use a 40% coupon. The Christmas fabric wasn't on sale and I spent way too much money on it.

So the drama sometimes raising kids: Let's just say sometimes things don't always go the way you think they will. And when you think you're doing something great for your kids they don't always see it that way. So I made my daughter have big crocodile tears this morning over a dance workshop she was having. I though I would surprise her and pick her up early from the workshop today to take them to a local fair that has great rides. (we've gone in the years past and they love going) She didn't want any part of it. She wanted to dance :) Dance is inside her like sewing is in me. I couldn't wait to get to work this morning, around my sewing machines... to bring my stress level down. Oh the drama.


And the story continues; I had to pick her up from her dance workshop tonight and had an hour to kill. My car drove me right to the JoAnn's super store out in Pembroke Pines. This store has a lot of fabric. And really they need to stop calling themselves a fabric store because less than half of the store was fabric. If you need cake decorating things they have a whole isle of it. (I mean really in a fabric store). You can't go to a "fabric store" without leaving with fabric so I bought another 15 yards from their 50% off clearance.They had a little better selection than the one around the corner from me. I'm sorry for the people who have to drive far to get to their fabric store. I have 5 stores all within a 20 minute drive.

Between both trips I spent less than $75 on the notions and 24 yards of fabric. Gotta buy things on sale. And I really want to hit the $1 a yard store soon. I haven't seen Mr. Arnold in a while.

Next weeks classes:
Sewing Monday 6-8pm
Machine Tuesday 6-8pm
Sewing Wednesday 11am-1pm and 6-8pm
Sewing Thursday 10am-2pm and 6-8pm
Machine Friday 10am-12noon
Sewing Friday 1-3pm
Cutting Saturday 10am-12noon
Sewing Saturday 1-5pm

This is my slow time of year so seats available to any class you would like to attend next week.

Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy