Nov 5, 2009

VOTE NOW - L2S Project Runway Contest



The Project Runway deadline has arrived. I received 10 entries.

Pick who you like. You can pick more than one project but you can only vote one time for each project.

The last day to vote is November 19. Check back here to see the winners on Nov 20. You can vote online or at the sewing center.


 


NAME: Scott
GARMENT NAME: Simply Retro
FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Sateen, 2”zipper
 WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
What I most liked about my project was the fact that I was able to create my very first dress that my friends could wear, and actually learning how to make a dress. I particularly enjoyed learning how to do a blind hem stitch.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
I would say my inspiration for the dress came from me wanting to learn how to make a dress, and me wanting to make a dress that simple but classy and at the same time something I could see my friends wearing.
*************************************************************



NAME: Patricia
GARMENT NAME: Snow Flowers in the Fall
FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Silk
WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
I like that it was a versatile dress that could be used for work or on the weekend.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
I wanted to challenge myself to learn to sew and appreciate the art of sewing.
************************************************************* 




NAME: Chae
GARMENT NAME: Batik Dress

FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED:  
I used cotton batik to make this dress. It has elastic edge on the sleeves and a detailed collar. In addition to the time it took to purchase materials and cut the pattern it took 12 hours to make sew this dress.
 WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
This dress is comfortable and lightweight. It is perfect for South Florida weather.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
I was inspired by the dresses my grandmother made for mother’s dolls and always wanted to learn to sew. I chose a dress as my first project for that reason.
************************************************************* 







NAME: Ceci
GARMENT NAME: Marilyn’s Hardy
FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Cotton Fabric, standard zipper and button.
 WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
That I can actually wear it! LOL!
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
The 50’s style halter dress usually is made with pretty designs and frilly fabric. I wanted to shake it up a bit and make this dress with a hard edge yet still feminine, Mimicking Ed Hardy. I still want to trim the dress as it stands now it’s stunning and I love it. I even wore it one night in Paris!
************************************************************* 




NAME: Ariela
GARMENT NAME: La Nina Bonita
FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Denim
WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT? This project combines the comfort of jeans with the elegance and brightness of colors.
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT? I made this dress early 2009. It was winter and all I saw were jeans and black shirts. I thought to myself, "Jeans are great but they shouldn't be paired up with dark boring colors, why not spice it up with rainbow fabric, to brighten up someones day?!" I mean color is the basis of any outfit! Without it we have English with no grammar, a big mess! :D
************************************************************* 



NAME: Anne
GARMENT NAME: Kaleidoscope

FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED:  
Egyptian cotton. I took a “ready to wear” skirt and made it into a dress.
WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
I love the soft cotton and the drape of the fabric. Also the colors are fantastic!
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
The “le color” of Fl.
*************************************************************



NAME: Randy
 GARMENT NAME: Daughters Dress 
FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED:  
Cotton / poly/ lace/ grosgrain ribbon
WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT? The variety of textures and old-fashioned look
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT? The ability to use a simple sewing pattern to make dresses with completely different looks 
************************************************************* 



NAME: Sara

GARMENT NAME: The One

FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Satin / Sheer Silky fabric, invisible zipper
 WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT? I have a great time. I learn so much and make so many mistakes at the same time.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  I have always wanted to learn how to sew just like my grandfather, self taught for necessity, and my mother.

************************************************************* 

NAME: Kerry
GARMENT NAME: Kerry’s First Completed Garment

FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED: Seersucker, custom fabric buttons

WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT? I love this blouse because it’s comfortable. It is striped and it is feminine without being overtly so.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  I love stripes and I like garments that have a little bit of a different aspect to them.

************************************************************* 

NAME: Corina

GARMENT NAME: Corina’s Project
 FABRIC/ MATERIALS USED:  
Tiger Print Silk
 WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR PROJECT?
Easy to make, I loved the design and the fabric.
 WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO MAKE THIS PROJECT?  
It was an easy pattern to make as my first project. 
 *************************************************************
Thanks for placing a vote for your favorite design"s".

Congratulations to all the entries - you receive $5 off your next class. GOOD LUCK! This has been tons of fun to do this far. I can't wait to see what happens next

Parting Note: Congratulations to Nani (she took sewing classes at the start of the year) who gave birth today:

The brand spanking new love of my life

Nicolas Paolo Handell
Born on 11/04/09 @ 2:06pm
7lbs 13oz - 20.5"






Until next time,
Enjoy your moments ~ make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy