Jun 5, 2008

Make your own Laptop Bag

Last year I got my very first laptop to use at my sewing center. I bought an HP. It lasted a few months before I started having problems with it (as many of you know). I sent it into HP to be fixed. It took them 4 months before they returned it to me. My advice - never buy an HP laptop. After I started having problems with my product I did a search online to find many people with the same problem as mine. It was a nightmare trying to get it fixed. But...I have it back now and for the moment its working.

The bag I bought at the store to carry around my laptop was big and bulky. I decided to make one myself. It was very easy. Only took me a couple of hours to figure out what I wanted to do and to sew my project.

I went in my fabric stash, pulled out some fleece I had made my kids jackets out of, corduroy I used to make shorts, batting to place between these two fabrics, and some scrap blue jean fabric (I always save old jeans. There is so much you can do with the fabric)

I figured out the size I wanted to fit my laptop - Cut 3 big squares of fabric and batting.




Sewed the batting to the fleece to hold it in place. I made stitch lines 3 inches apart sewing long ways down the fabric






I cut another smaller square out of the jean fabric to make pockets to hold the power cord and other implements for my laptop. Folded the two top edges of the pockets to finish the edges before sewing the sides of the pocket to the outer layer of the bag. I made a stitch in the middle where the bottom of the bag and made two halves of the pocket on each side of the bag.


I wanted to make strong handles so I doubled up the fabric. I sewed tubes, turned them right side out and sewed jean fabric on the handles. Next attach the handles to the top of each side of the bag leaving a few inches at the top to install the zipper. For extra support I added jean squares around the handles.

Next step is to install the zipper putting it between the fabric and the liner. I used a large zipper that came apart at the bottom to make it easier to install.

With two right sides together sew the side seams of the fabric. Then sew the sides of the liner leaving a large enough opening on one side of the liner to turn our bag right side out.







I love the way it came out. It's a lot easier to carry my laptop and all the padding in the middle will help protect it so it will help protect my laptop.

Again, my advice is to never buy an HP notebook. My experience with them has been nothing but trouble.

Until next time.
Enjoy your moments, make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy