May 27, 2008

Memorial Day - Voting Fabric Art

A lot of people who take my sewing classes know there's one question I try to ask everyone. Do you vote? It's my goal to get more people to use their freedom.

I have a friend who's son died in Iraq. Many of you have honored him by reading his first letter home. The Memorial Day weekend for me is a time to think about him and all who gave their lives to us for our freedom...our right to vote. Voting is an important subject for me as a lot of you know.

We have 1.76 mil. people living here in this county. In Broward County 1 out of 3 people are registered to vote

Registered Voters as of 05/27/2008
Republican: 235,694
Democratic: 481,208
Other: 213,495
Total: 930,397

Out of those registered we are lucky to get 20 - 30% show up at the polls. I really don't understand this. We have choices and so many rather not even make the choice. When you decide not to make a choice someone will make one for you. The decision will be made. Wouldn't it be great if you were part of the decision?

I hope people do use their freedom by voting. It really only takes a few minutes. It takes more time to educate yourself before you go to the polls to decide how you want to vote which you should really do before you make your decision. It all only takes a few hours to give to your country - to yourself.


I made this sign for my shop. I'm going to put applications to register for all 3 counties. I want to do as much as I can to advance our wonderful county for "we the people".

I hope you thought of them during the Memorial Day weekend. If you didn't - can you take a moment right now to be thankful for what you were given.

Until next time.
Enjoy your moments, make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy