May 7, 2008

Make an Easy Halter Top

A few weeks ago my daughter brought me her doll from "High School Musical" and asked me to make a top like her doll. It was a red halter top. She explained to me how to make it :) I asked her if it mattered what color I made it because I didn't have red fabric. It wasn't a problem.

I cut a front in this shape bringing in a waist line, cutting an angle up for the arms and scooping the neckline.

I just folded down the front at the bottom of the arms - cut it across to make the back. Press one fold at the top 1/2" and the second fold 1" making a casing for the elastic. Cut the elastic smaller than the width of the back to gather the back.


Cut bias tape (diagonal of the salvage edge) enough to finish the front arm to give it a finished look. Sew two right sides together. Press your seam up towards the strip. Press 1/4" on the top of the strip - bring this fold over the seam. Either do stitching in the ditch or a top stitch on the right side of the fabric. ( when you sew on the wrong side you could get a straight line but when you flip it over to the right side it will be crooked)






Fold and press the top 1/4". Fold another 1/2" and press for the tie to run through.
Cut 1" strip (or use ribbon) as long as you want to make the tie. Sew 2 right sides together and flip your tie right side out. Run your tie through the top of the halter.

With two right sides together sew the side seams matching the top finished edges. Finish your seams with the serger or running a zig zag stitch down your seam.


Hem the bottom and you have a very easy halter top for the summer time. It put a real big smile on my daughters face when I brought it home.


Seats are going quick for Sewing Summer Camp. One week is full. If your interested in summer camp you need to enroll soon before there aren't any seats available.

Until next time...
Enjoy your moments, make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy