May 29, 2008

Learning from the Sewing Magazines

I tell my students all the time go pick up the sewing magazines. There are 5 or 6 different ones. I learn things all the time and get great ideas from them.

In this months Sew News they had a great tip on smocking. It looks very easy the way Linda Lee explains it.
Smock On

By Linda Lee

What technique marks and tacks fabric from the wrong side to create a trellis look on the right side?
Katherine

The technique that you're referring to is called reversed smocking, and it's done by hand on the fabric wrong side. Using the illustration at right as a guide, mark a series of dots in a 1" grid on the fabric wrong side, using a pencil or a non–bleeding marking pen (5).


Check out the article online for a lot more information on how to do this.

I can't wait to try it!

She also gives good tips on how to prevent cording from raveling when making a pillow - or anytime you want to use cording.

So, Check out the sewing magazines. I really do learn a lot from them.

When I find good tips like these I will pass them along to you.

I'll be back to tell you about my new project soon - turning old t-shirts into new panties. I'm having a lot of fun making them. I need to pick up more elastic. I didn't have a whole lot in my stash.

One more week of school! I can't wait to have my kids home for the summer. Summer camp is also filling up so if you plan on attending you better reserve your seats soon.

Until next time.
Enjoy your moments, make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy