Apr 30, 2008

Easy Cutting Tip - Mothers Day Apron

There is a very easy way to cut strips of fabric, like bias tape, when you need them.

Bias tape is cut diagonal from the grainline. Grainline runs the same as your salvage edge. Salvage edges are the edge of the fabric that doesn't get cut when the fabric comes off the bolt. A lot of times I make my own bias tape out of the same fabric as my project as opposed to buying a package.


An easy way to cut strips....
Decide how wide you need your strip. Cut a few inches of the strip of fabric then fold what you cut keeping the edges together to give you a cutting line. Keep folding the fabric over to make your cutting line until you cut the length you need.











Aprons are very easy to make. Gita came in last week to make her mom's present for Mothers Day. It took her 2 hours to cut it out and sew it. She is a great little sewer. I pined her fabric for her so we could get done faster. She did a great job. I can't tell you how rewarding it is for me to give my knowledge to someone and watch what they do with what I give them. This little girl is going to have a lifetime of sewing like myself. I just love it!


Moms love having their gifts made for them. There are so many different kinds of projects you can make for your mom from makeup bags , letter/card holder to aprons. The possibilities are endless what you can make them. So get busy now, start making your Mothers Day presents. You only have a couple of weeks.

My next post will be how to make a very easy halter top.

Until next time...
Enjoy your moments, make them "sew" much fun,
Cindy